Every day may not be good...but there is something good in every day.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Doctor, Doctor!


The weather has been up and down in these parts.  Hot, then cold, rainy then humid.  It’s been messing with peoples allergies and sinus.  It’s also been hard on animals.  Dad spotted one of our calves acting funny.  He was thumping (breathing hard) which is a sign of pneumonia.  So to get him doctored we had to bring in all the cows up to the lots.  While we had them up in the dry lots we took the opportunity to worm all the cows.  They have been on new grass and it was high time to worm them.   After the worming we sorted the little sick calf off. 


My dad has some cattle medicine from the local vet for respiratory problems.   So we would give him a dose of that.  The shot has to be given subcutaneous -  just under the skin.  The shot is given in the neck region of the animal.   We will monitor him in the pasture and make sure he doesn’t get worse.  If he does we will then bring him into the vet. 


We don’t always go to the vet for cattle health.  Some things we know how to handle - pretty minor diseases.  Anything very serious or strange we seek professional help.   Farmers need to have a broad knowledge of animal husbandry and behavior to be able to manage their herd.   I don’t know how my dad learned about cattle health, but I know my brother and I learned from watching him.  I also read cattle news, and had some basic animal health classes in college.  Wade has learned mostly by working, watching and listening.   In a way it’s kind of like a mother – she knows when her kids are sick, or getting sick.  You kind of develop an instinct and can recognize problems in your herd.

My Dad 


Wade - my hubby!  

Oh and I got this bumper sticker today in the mail!  I got it as a giveaway from Real Ranchers.  They have a great blog and website about cattle producers in Wyoming!  (I love Wyoming - its one of my favorite places on earth!)
I love their site and stories! Go Check them out! 


9 comments:

  1. It's so nice when vets will work with you on that stuff and you can explain the problem and they trust you to do the doctoring - saves on the vet bill too! If we need something we don't have I usually just go into our vets office and ask him for it since we tend to do our own vaccinating and preg checking. Cool bumper sticker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bumper sticker and Wyoming it seems we have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bumper sticker!!! Wonder where one could buy one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably contact those folks at RealRanchers.com!

      Delete
  4. Farm Boy and I worked the wild~eyed feeders 'bout two weeks ago. I always feel it the day after...or two! Heeeehehehe!

    God bless ya and have a great day sweetie!!!

    Woohoo...support your local beef farmer! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nezzy!! Thanks for the comment and visiting my blog!

      Delete
  5. Awesome bumper sticker! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this post, and congrats on winning the Realranchers giveaway! I know the girl behind it, and am always so happy when other people love what she's turned it into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by and for the comment. Yes I really enjoy the Real Ranchers website!! She is doing a heck of a job!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...