Every day may not be good...but there is something good in every day.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Farming and Ranching is Love

Have you heard about these books promoting vegan lifestyle to children?  The latest book is called Vegan is Love.  I first read about them in Drovers magazine, and then in an article written by Amanda Radke on the Beef magazine website.  I was trolling through the comment section (Click here for the full article) when I read this comment: “ It may be graphic and I would probably hesitate to show otto(?) (I assume they mean our)children, but is the depiction in these books untrue? At some point children should learn about slaughter. By James Saunders  on May 3, 2012



This comment struck me like lightening - stopped me in my tracks.  I had to ask myself - when did I learn about slaughter?  
I had to dig down deep in my recollections for my first experience to animal slaughter.  I think I was in kindergarten. We were at my grandma's house.  It was a chicken slaughter day. It was my chore to push my baby sister around in her stroller while the adults worked.  They killed, pluck, and gutted 50 + birds that day.  Nowhere in that memory could I recall my mom or dad sitting down and explaining to me what was going to happen or what I would see.   Did I ask questions about the process, yes! But they gave me answers I could understand. It didn't make me angry or sad that they were butchering chickens. I knew they were not pets - they were not like my dog Buddy, or the neighbor’s cat. I knew I liked chicken nuggets and they came from chickens.  It made sense, in my little kid brain.  It wasn’t cluttered with ideas about animal welfare, or the ethics of why we eat meat.  Because I was a kid!  Those are adult concepts!  Should children be taught about slaughter – YES by all means!  But are these books the answer - I'm not so sure.   I have yet to find and read one myself. So I can not offer a fair opinion on their content.  I can only offer my thoughts on teaching children about slaughter. 
Since that bygone day at my grandma’s house, I have been a part of several more butchering days.  Raising several butcher steers, and hogs. I went as far as taking a meat science class in college and learned the mechanics of the industry. In that class we butchered lambs, beef, and pork.  I made a point to work at every station, and get my hands dirty.  I will be blunt – it is not a pleasant job.  It’s not my favorite thing to do. But I learned that these animals have a purpose. They were raised to feed people. I cannot stress that point enough.
As farm kids raised with livestock we knew that these animals were not pets. Livestock are there to feed our families and others around the world. While we loved these animals, cared for and even named a few of them we knew what would happen in the end.  (I know I risk sounding hokey, or corny with this next statement.) Being raised on the farm we learned that cattle, hogs, sheep chicken, goats etc. have a noble purpose.  They die so that we may eat and nourish our bodies.   This is a very important thing to learn as a child, which is the concept we need to teach our children today.    Farming and Ranching is love!  I want to see that book on the shelf! 

16 comments:

  1. Someone like you needs to write it and then it would be there! But I agree. I also had to think hard for a second. I think my first experience with "slaughter" was probably from my dad's hunting... turkey, deer, raccoons, etc. My grandparents were the ones that had the cattle so I never really experienced that until I was older. There are plenty of pictures of me with my dad and dead animals though! It never fazed me - I understood that they were animals meant for eating and not pets - it's hard for me to understand sometimes how other people don't make the connection. Don't get me wrong, I still have farm animals that I get attached to, but it doesn't change their ultimate purpose in life. I might have to do a spin-off post from this. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like too. I don't think I have the connections to get it done and/or published. This is a topic I want to write more about. I think it’s an interesting relationship and often misunderstood. It's hard to write about without sounding cold hearted - which is not the case (as you know first hand.) Looking forward to reading what you come up with! Then we could co-author a book!! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm totally in for that! Maybe we could get connections through the Pioneer Woman, lol!

      Delete
  2. Excellent points, and that's right, they are raised for food. I was a vegetarian for a few years, but I am happy to be eating beef again, although now I try to eat grass-fed for health reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anita, Thank you for the comment! Happy to hear you are eating beef again! :)
      I respect other peoples eating habits for whatever reason. I think animal protein is essential to have a healthy diet -especially in growing and developing children. I would consult a pediatrician before taking the books message to heart.

      Delete
  3. I'm sayin'. I saw a report on this very book on television and it's downright scary!!!

    The Ponderosa is a beef operation but more than that, I hate the way the book presents itself to children for goodness sake!

    God bless ya and have an awesome day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Nezzy!
      It will be important for cattle producers like yourself to have open dicussions with consumers and to talk about these issues. We can never stop ag-vocating! :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Well said, well said!

    I haven't heard of the book you speak of---but I love your response!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written. Katy Williams, a RWR member, has just published a childrens book. Here is her link on the site.

    http://www.ruralwomenrock.com/2012/01/katy-williams-and-little-house-on.html

    You might just want to search the site for her feature. Just wanted to connect the two of you. Perhaps you ladies could get something rolling.

    It might be something to bring to some of the industry leaders. E-mail me if you're interested, and I'll try to put you in contact with some women.

    Kind regards,


    Kasse D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome Kasse! You will be hearing from me!

      Delete
  6. Well said. I, too, had to think back to my first experience of learning about slaughter. It was with my first 4-H steer. I think Trent Loos says it best, "Everything lives and everything dies. But, death with a purpose gives true meaning to life."

    May I also recommend my children's book, "Levi's Lost Calf," which is an ag-accurate book about life on a cattle ranch. http://www.amazon.com/Levis-Lost-Calf-Amanda-Radke/dp/1463514425 (Thanks for letting me put a plug in!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, thank you for looking at this blog post! It means a lot! Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. I think that political correctness has influenced so many areas of our lives; including this issue. I bet most kids don't have a good understanding where their food actually comes from. Good post, Elizabeth. Write that book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always killed and processed our own chickens and hogs. I don't remember a time when I did not know what was going on. It never seemed weird or sick to me. It was always done with respect for the animals that were to nourish us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dave - it was the same for us growing up.

      Delete